The New York White House


 
The first Executive Mansion was in New York City located at One Cherry Street. George Washington walked there after being sworn in as our first President in April 1789. The property was known as the Samuel Osgood House. The mansion was open to the public on Thursdays between 3 and 4 p.m., when President Washington received visitors.
 


In February 1790, the Washington’s, the extremely wealthy Martha and George, moved to the Macomb Mansion at 39 Broadway on Bowling Green, because it was a larger home better befitting the status of the President. However, in August of 1790, the First Family moved to Philadelphia, the new seat of government and then moved once more to District of Columbia.