Oak Hill




Oak Hill Cemetery is a historic 22-acre cemetery and botanical garden located in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. It includes the Oak Hill Cemetery Chapel and Van Ness Mausoleum which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Oak Hill began in 1848 as part of the rural cemetery movement, directly inspired by the success of Mount Auburn Cemetery, when William Wilson Corcoran (also founder of the Corcoran Gallery of Art) purchased 15 acres of land. He then organized the Cemetery Company to oversee Oak Hill; it was incorporated by act of Congress on March 3, 1849.

 Oak Hill's chapel was built in 1849 by noted architect James Renwick, who also designed the Smithsonian Institution's Castle on Washington Mall and St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York. His one story rectangular chapel measures 23 by 41 feet (7×12 m) and sits on the cemetery's highest ridge. It is built of black granite, in Gothic Revival style, with exterior trim in the same red Seneca sandstone used for the Castle.

 By 1851, landscape designer Captain George F. de la Roche finished laying out the winding paths and terraces descending into Rock Creek valley. When initial construction was completed in 1853, Corcoran had spent over $55,000 on the cemetery's landscaping and architecture








































The New York White House


 
The first Executive Mansion was in New York City located at One Cherry Street. George Washington walked there after being sworn in as our first President in April 1789. The property was known as the Samuel Osgood House. The mansion was open to the public on Thursdays between 3 and 4 p.m., when President Washington received visitors.
 


In February 1790, the Washington’s, the extremely wealthy Martha and George, moved to the Macomb Mansion at 39 Broadway on Bowling Green, because it was a larger home better befitting the status of the President. However, in August of 1790, the First Family moved to Philadelphia, the new seat of government and then moved once more to District of Columbia.